Sunday 15 February 2009

Black or White?

The first short film I have saw from the Future Film Festival at BFI IMAX centre called Estate Us. To be honest, it's such a confused film which I think will misguide people.

Black equals violence

The story depicts black young teenagers from deprived communities in London facing different pressures from life, and he has to force himself making difficult choices, typically drug and violence sort of stuff that he just can't get rid of it.

And it's ture, young Londoners do have this kind of trouble, but let's put the original idea aside, why choosing black kids acting on this film?

Is it all happening in the black skin community? For me, as an outsider, the impression on me will be Oh, look,this is today's London youngster, and do watch out, black kids on the side street!!

What kind of impression the film create? Why violence always does associate with Black?

Brilliant black guys I have known

Frankly speaking, I have met some wonderful black people while studying at London.

My Online tutor David Dumkley, who's such an amazing journalist with great passion on Journalism.

Previously he has worked with BBC News Night, Radio 4, and then an associate producer from Channel 4, an international award winning multimedia website creator, a senior lecturer from Uni. Westminster...

A classical musician whom I have met during my final project creation period - Levie Moscovici, originally from Nigeria (If I'm not mistaken, but he's black definitely).

Though from the beginning I didn't put much attention on him (because so many good musicians in the music colleges around London), but after listening to his fantastic recital, and I just told myself that this's the musician I must invite to my site, though he dropped out at the end due to his arm injury.

Another Jamaican friend from Uni. Jamalah Bryan, an excellent web developer, and extremely good at coding.

He's so young, full of bright amibitions and high expectation for his life, and wants to see the world, meet people, starts to run his own company and begins his career.

There's millions of ways bringing positive impacts on black community. And I just can't understand why if there's violence there, then the audience 9 out of ten times will see all the black creatures occupying that screen, is that fair?

Because we're white - Goodbye Bafana



I still clearly remembered the famous sentence from Goodbye Bafana:"Because we're white."

James Gregory, the prison guard of Nelson Mandela, told his little sick daughter after witnessing a black women got beaten from a white officer and was taken away from her boby.

James told his daughter that they are white and they never mixed up with black!

But years later, Nelson Mandela became the first President of South Africa, who was to be elected in a fully representative democracy election.

And today, Barack Obama came to power as the 44th United States President, the first black president in America's history, and the most powerful man in the world.

Black or White, never mind!!

No comments: