Thursday 30 April 2009

Sharing my experience with BBC Step Up 2009 new trainees

A forty minutes discussion for sharing previous experiences with Step Up new trainees 2009 was held today at BBC Television Centre at Wood Lane as part of the first session of this year's training scheme.

What you have gained mostly out of the experience

The online trainees I have met today are so enthusiastic to get to know what they will gain out of the process.

I talked quite a lot about my Step Up 2008 experiences, including both of the theoretical side of the scheme and the practical session, which also including production fortnight.

They were also very curious about how the mentor and mentee experience will help them to develop their skills.

From my personal point of view, to build up good relations with your mentor will obviously help your future career, especially those people are the ones who have already put their feet into the media industry.

And more importantly, it's part of the networking process. In such a huge and prestigious organisation like BBC, knowing how you are going to approach these media professionals and how to make friends are essential.

I have also explained to them how I have produced two of my stories published on BBC london Website, and what other essential skills I have learnt from the process, such as pitching story, conducting interview, getting access to the BBC internal learning resources, learning how to use content management system.

No comments: