Friday 24 April 2009

Shorthand struggling

The basic key skills for local newspaper reporters in UK, followed by NCTJ accredited courses are Teeline shorthand, media law, news writing, and public affairs(including both central government and local government's functionality).

However, heard from most of the course trainees saying that the Teeline shorthand practice takes most of their revision time.

Teeline practice

I was wondering at the beginning how does these little, funny and strange drawings work? Fortunately my curiosity and stubborn mind guide me to find Angela, an experienced Teeline tutor who has been working in this field for a long period.

The learning process from the beginning is very tough and most probably I have already described in the previous posts on my blog.

Here I would like to emphasize is that though I spent most of the March and April to be familiar with the outlines and the rules.

The problem bothers me is that it seems as if I would have understood the rules and remembered these outlines, when I write it down during the passage, I'm still stumbling with them.

Even with some of the most common words, such as an, while, I , and they would have been, like the word grouping stuff.

Apart from the above, transcribing the passage is problematic as well, and even it seems I wrote all of them down, while I'm a bit of over the moon and thinks that I'm going to get it.

But when I read it back and transcribe it into the longhand, I found myself not quite sure what all of these shorthand are about.

And the worst thing could be I found out that I have lost the story, then I cannot transcribe anything.

This is really bullshit right?

And what else? More frustrated and funny thing is that there are two or three words in a passage even I do not know - the English I don't understand.

Oh well, perhaps Angela will think Oh dear, what a pity it is, and I will think oh, great, what a challenge it is!

At end of every class, Angela keeps saying: "everyone is going to get 60 per min and as long as you are practising every single day, and you are going to get it."

No comments: