Wednesday 5 March 2008

Three Goddess Net Critique

(1) When surfing the net what websites don’t you like and why?

When I’m surfing online, I find out some websites that I really don’t like, the main reasons have been given out as the follows.

I will present Sanxia Media Network as an example (three Goddes Medis Network): http://www.sxcm.net/

Too much flash on the home page

This website seems adore using flash, one of the multimedia elements on the home page.

I feel the web designer overproduced the home page trough using 11 flash altogether.

It distract my concentration when I browsing the web.

Another big problem, when opening the home page, the top part is appearing as blank, I do not know what happened, seems as big ads there, or another big flash.

It happened to me for many times.

Home page is not well designed

When opening the front page, especially the top part of the home page, I just feel it is badly organised.

The first impression is a very complicated web, and seems texts, images, flash are everywhere.

It is not simple and not neat, I do not feel user-friendly character.

The three columns, I do not know why they are not in the same height, some of them shorter, some of them a bit longer. (see the top part of the home page):

http://www.sxcm.net/

Design is not always in consistency

The web design is not always consistent, when click some pages the design is changing.

For instance, click health, you will see: http://www.sxcm.net/jiankang/node_4295.htm, click wanzhou news, you will see: http://www.sxcm.net/newscenter/node_4115.htm.

However, most of the web pages look in this way: http://www.sxcm.net/newscenter/node_4116.htm.

So sometimes I am wondering am I still in the same website?

Navigation bar on the top is inconvenient

The Navigation bar is on the top instead on the left, it makes me feel difficult, because I always need to scroll up for finding some new information.

Though on the bottom, it also has the same navigation bar, but imagine, if I am scrolling in the middle of the page, of course I prefer to just click on the nearer left side!

I prefer the navigation bar on the left, like the BBC News website.

Content looks like ads

The Banner just under navigation bar, which looks like an ads, but in fact there is a big issue hiding behind the ads alike.

I got very confused first, even try to avoid it, after quite a long time, I realised that there is important content behind the banner.

Non-strictly comply with online writing rules

Look at this link:
http://www.sxcm.net/sh/2007-12/16/content_185656.htm

The paragraph is too long, I do not feel user-friendly character.

Since it is Chinese character, so cannot apply:

Ø heading verdana 18 bold,
Ø body text verdana 12
Ø sub-heading verdana 14 bold,
Ø the sales copy (the first paragraph under the heading, like the intro) verdana 12 bold

The topical news does not have complemented hook, which should include 3 important elements: image, keyword phrase, sales copy.

But in this web, the hook does not include keyword phrase.

No visited colour changing

There is no colour difference between visited link and non-visited link, I got lost many sometimes before I cant remember whether I visited or not.
I do hope there is colour changing for the link been visited.

New opening window should not always appear

The new opening window always appear when I search for something new, it is so frustrated because, what the hell am I return back to the front page?

The return button always becomes gray!! The web creates so many new window layers, and it is so inconvenient!

Search engine within the web not good

The Search within the web is very bad, because it does not has a box, and too much literal search.

I am looking for some specific search methods, for instance, the dates, the topic etc to help me to search, I feel it is easier and just tick.

Also the web does not handle typos, plurals, hyphens, and other variants of the query terms.

Almost no web 2.0 feature & lack of multimedia

The web is lack of multimedia section, I cannot find video/podcast in this web. Only one video I got after more than 2 hours search!

http://www.sxcm.net/sh/2007-12/30/content_187445.htm

RSS, Del.icio.us, DIGG these interaction tools are also left far behind.

Though the web has comment section after every article.

No comments: